Thursday, August 7, 2008

It pays to be a little OCD!!!

I have gotten used to people making fun of me for wanting to have my checkbook balanced to the penny, but I am so thankfully that I am obsessed with doing this becauase it has paid off...literally!!!! Eric and I used to use our debit card for everything and about two or three times I found that the online banking had made a mistake, so from then on I have been very concerned about making sure that my registry matched up with the online banking. Well, recently Eric and I decided to start using our credit card as our debit card to earn points for airline tickets. I began keeping record of everything we purchased on the credit card just as I would the debit card. I sat down the night before last to balance everything and something just wasn't working out. I worked on it for about 2 hours and became so frustrated that I decided to put it aside and let Eric take a look at it tomorrow. So last night he sat down and found out that the credit card balance on the internet was charging us about $25 more dollars than I had recorded and $25 more dollars than their list of transactions that were posted added up to. Eric called the credit card company at 5:30pm to find out what was going on and at 7:30pm he and the supervisor of the company came to the conclusion that it was a computer error. So after much frustration we earned a $40 credit because of their "error".

This goes to show that you should not always just rely on what the computer says, because they can make mistakes too! Had Eric and I not noticed this error we would have been paying $25 more dollars than we needed to and I doubt we would have ever seen that money again. Who knows how much "extra" money we have been giving the credit card for the past couple of years.

3 comments:

  1. how exciting! the only way i will ever find extra money is in my coat pockets- ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also....we want pics of Sadie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you would crack! I cannot believe you did not tell me you are now a blogger. I am the best "ghost reader"! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete